Africa Speaks
TrinidadandTobagoNews
AmonHotep
Trinicenter
Homepage
RaceandHistory
Race and HistoryNews and Views
Terms of Service | Translator | Nubian School | Channel Africa | Recommended Books

Articles Archive: Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Race and History Forum

Concept of Race

We all know that the term or concept of "race" is a social construction developed in Germany around the 1700's. But the concept has held on throughout the centuries and is entrenched in our language. When we talk about Black, White, Asian, people we speak in terms of "race."
What does that do? Here I would like feedback.

When we speak in terms of Black folk as a "race" we NEVER see ALL Black folk in terms of CULTURE. I understand that Culture brings to mind the skills, arts, customs of a people and ALL Black folk don't share the same "culture" in this regard. However when you look at Prof. Diop's Cradle Theory, you can see that ALL Black folk did develop a CULTURAL ESSENCE. Meaning that we shared some deep cultural traits other than the foods we eat or the style of dress or art. Some of those shared traits were cosmology, ontology, epistemology, axiology. In fact I would suggest that even today in America, after 300 plus years of enslavement and exposure to european culture, we still share many of these cultural traits with other African peoples.

So how does that impact the use of the term "race" as opposed to seeing us as a culture?

I would argue that by ingesting the term race, we discount any cultural connection with Africans worldwide. This would mean that although we are of the "Black Race" we have very little if anything, in common with Africans in the rest of the world. This is a very divisive concept for African people. The term "race" also implies we have nothing in common with other groups that share our deep cultural structures as Africans at one time populated the world. I would like to say if I were a minority culture and need to bring the world under control, I would stand a better chance using the concept of "race" instead of culture because if that were the focus, maybe cultures around the world could really see the similaries instead of like today, glaring differences.

I would like to end this by also expressing that since the advent of european culture as the world standard, it may be too late for folks to examine those similarities they shared with the early African settlers.

Messages In This Thread

Concept of Race
Re: Concept of Race

Trinicenter Int. | Africa News Links | 9/11 Home | Latest News | Sources | Search | Homepage

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

RaceandHistory.com is a 100% non-profit Website.