Africa Speaks
TrinidadandTobagoNews
AmonHotep
Trinicenter
Homepage
RaceandHistory
Race and HistoryNews and Views
Terms of Service | Translator | Nubian School | Channel Africa | Recommended Books

Articles Archive: Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Race and History Forum

Re: Irish Slavery
In Response To: Irish Slavery ()

I was amazed to stumble across this info on the Irish slave trade. I am of Afro-Caribbean descent make me wonder how many people like me have distant Irish ancestors?Clearly the history of the populating of the the Caribbean islands is fascinating and very complex.This area of demographics definitely needs more research.

When my father came to London in the early 1950's he told me that he always got on extremely well with the Irish and found their accents easier to understand than the cockneys.There are definitely similar speech patterns and cadences in Jamaican Patois and the Irish accent.New the Bajan accent is a different matter that has definite similarities with the West country accent which I believe was due to the prisoners who where transported there after the Duke of Monmouth rebellion in 1685 I wonder how much they were sold for? Were any prisoners of the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and 1745 sold into slavery?

It would be extremely interesting to do some DNA test on a cross section of people of Caribbean descent to see where their ancestors originated.

I have read about Barbary pirates raiding the western fringes of the UK and Ireland for slaves in the 16th and 17th centuries but the scale of the Irish slave trade seems to be a a different magnitude.Why don't more people know about this ?

Messages In This Thread

Irish Slavery
Re: Irish Slavery *LINK*

Trinicenter Int. | Africa News Links | 9/11 Home | Latest News | Sources | Search | Homepage

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

RaceandHistory.com is a 100% non-profit Website.