Africa Speaks
TrinidadandTobagoNews
AmonHotep
Trinicenter
Homepage
RaceandHistory
Race and HistoryNews and Views
Terms of Service | Translator | Nubian School | Channel Africa | Recommended Books

Articles Archive: Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Race and History Forum

Henriette Delille Misidentification

Since 1994 I have been fighting the Archbishop of New Orleans, La. and the Sisters of the Holy Family (the organization which was founded by Henriette Delille when she lived from 1812 to 1862.) They have insisted on identifying her as a Native Born African American (ONLY) in their efforts to get her canonized as a saint.
Historically Henriette Delille was known to be a Free Person of Color, which meant that besides her African ancestry, she had French, Italian and Spanish ancestry.
Should these entities get their wish, the greatest tragedy will be perpetuated by this lie. It seems that the Archbishop and the Sisters want to keep the One Drop Policy (which was outlawed as far back as 1975) going, with no regard to the fact that Henriette Delille was more than just African-American. Historically, when she lived she was considered a French Creole American.
The Archbishop and the Sisters see that by making her the first Native Born African American as a boone to their financial and political racism to the detriment of millions of Creole Americans here in the United States and in other continents over the world. I am sorry that they haven't been able in two centuries to find a Native Born African American (ONLY) for sainthood.
I have written them a letter of protest which will be my final letter before I go to the public to bring my cause to the their attention.
Sincerely Mrs. Marion I. Ferreira, Founder and President of The Associates for the Preservation of Creole Cultural Heritage, Inc.

Messages In This Thread

Henriette Delille Misidentification
Re: Henriette Delille Misidentification

Trinicenter Int. | Africa News Links | 9/11 Home | Latest News | Sources | Search | Homepage

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

RaceandHistory.com is a 100% non-profit Website.