Africa Speaks
TrinidadandTobagoNews
AmonHotep
Trinicenter
Homepage
RaceandHistory
Race and HistoryNews and Views
Terms of Service | Translator | Nubian School | Channel Africa | Recommended Books

Articles Archive: Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Race and History Forum

Re: Has anyone read....?
In Response To: Has anyone read....? ()

I have read the book. It is about 180 pages (not including all the footnotes at the end) I must say that it was hard for me to put it down. I fisnished it in one work day. I thought it was a very well written book. Randall Kennedy included a lot of court cases where the work nigger was a factor in someone suing. They were very interesting because it shows you how people think that the word nigger " wouldn't affect a reasonable person." In some cases, it is seen as "fighting words" and have cause ( I use that word lightly) to even kill the offender who used the word. I think think this was an excellent book. It also includes comedy routines ( Chris Rock, Richord Pryor ), literature, and songs that are used by African Americans. The word is then deemed "acceptable". It also includes some cruel jokes that really broke my heart:

What do you call a nigger riding a bike?
THIEF!

Why do niggers wear high heeled shoes?
So their KNUCKLES won't scrape the ground.

How do you make a nigger nervous?
Take him to an AUCTION.

I think this book will get people talking. I think the book doesn't denounce the word, but makes people see that it has many different meanings for many different people. I, personally use nigger or NIGGA in my everyday speech, and this book gave me a lot to think about. Hope this helps!

Note* I got the book the first day it came out, and I was pleasantly surprised to see only 2 copies left. Try your local Borders Books and Music.

Messages In This Thread

Has anyone read....?

Trinicenter Int. | Africa News Links | 9/11 Home | Latest News | Sources | Search | Homepage

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

RaceandHistory.com is a 100% non-profit Website.