Africa Speaks
TrinidadandTobagoNews
AmonHotep
Trinicenter
Homepage
RaceandHistory
Race and HistoryNews and Views
Terms of Service | Translator | Nubian School | Channel Africa | Recommended Books

Articles Archive: Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Race and History Forum

Re: Black Like I Thought I Was *LINK*
In Response To: Black Like I Thought I Was ()

I don't need to take a DNA test. I know who I am. I am ethnically mostly Amerindian, with a dash of African and European thrown in. However, I was raised by a Pan-African mother, even lighter-skinned than I am, and am the daughter of a revolutionary (of the 1970 rebellion in Trinidad). I know unequivocably who I am, but this message struck a chord. Growing up in colour conscious Barbados, as a Trinidadian, proved to me that even people of African descent in the Caribbean do not recognise me as Negro/African and it has caused me both confusion and distress. I myself have always identified strongly with the African consciousness, and it is because I was raised in that vein. It speaks definitely to the old addage from the Black Power Movement, "Africa is a state of mind". I think if you identify with the oppressed, and join the struggle for those reasons, there is no difference between fighting for racial equality and fighting for human rights and the restoration of accurate history. I have been sensitised by my parents to the struggles of all peoples to assert these inalienable human rights. So in the most basic sense, you don't abandon these ideals because a test tells you that you are not genetically predisposed to being oppressed. The reality of the world does not see the difference, and as important as it may be on a personal level to know and understand yourself and the journey of your Ancestors, it's not neccessary to be biologically linked to the oppressed to oppose the tenents of a system that would tell you different based on your skin colour. Did that make sense?

Messages In This Thread

Black Like I Thought I Was
Re: Black Like I Thought I Was *LINK*

Trinicenter Int. | Africa News Links | 9/11 Home | Latest News | Sources | Search | Homepage

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

RaceandHistory.com is a 100% non-profit Website.