Africa Speaks
TrinidadandTobagoNews
AmonHotep
Trinicenter
Homepage
RaceandHistory
Race and HistoryNews and Views
Terms of Service | Translator | Nubian School | Channel Africa | Recommended Books

Articles Archive: Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6

Race and History Forum

Re: THE ORIGINAL MEANING OF THE "N" WORD

Hi, I realise this is an old post but hoping to get any response.

I found this article interesting and perplexing. I would like to know your opinion on the common, almost mandatory use of the 'n' word in rap lyrics (particularly of the US variety). On shows such as the (former) Oprah Show high-profile rappers have defended this usage and it's aim to denigrate, in your terms, 'impotent'. However, in my view the usage of the 'n' word in rap lyrics (and recently by other white people such as actor, Gwyneth Paltrow) over the past 30- years on the public stage has not effected its continued use in the community.

Is using the term on each other acceptable if we are referring to each other as 'God'? (*rolling my eyes*). Or is this more about how we emotionally and spiritually respond to non-blacks continual use of it towards us?

Hope this all makes sense :). Just interested in some feedback. Cheers,

Messages In This Thread

THE ORIGINAL MEANING OF THE "N" WORD

Trinicenter Int. | Africa News Links | 9/11 Home | Latest News | Sources | Search | Homepage

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

RaceandHistory.com is a 100% non-profit Website.